Friday 13 July 2012

Beautiful butterflies


Isn't there something captivating about butterflies?  I have always thought so, since I was very young.  I used to love going for walks with my butterfly book as a child and seeing how many different species I could spot. 

Mini Budgie was given a lovely present for his fourth birthday a couple of weeks ago of a butterfly hatching kit!  We sent off for the five little caterpillars that arrived in a pot complete with their food.  We watched amazed as they ate and grew during the next week.  They grew so fast!  We then watched the caterpillars turn into chrysalis' and transfered them into the butterfly hatching cage.  We watched and waited and two days ago came the exciting moment when the butterflies emerged, transformed and beautiful!  It truly is a miracle!  My boys and I then decorated the cage with fresh flowers which we soaked in sugar water (nectar) and watched the butterflies for a day. 



Yesterday, we released them into the garden.  They took a little encouragement but it was lovely to see them fly free after they had got used to the outside air.



Their little fluffy bodies and big eyes were adorable! These are Painted Lady butterflies and their markings and colours are exquisite.


I can definitely recommend a gift like this for children.  My boys absolutely loved it (and I did as well!).

I showed you my bookbag tag bird in my previous post and they have proved to be very popular which is lovely!  I have had quite a few requests for them which brings me a lot of excitement and joy!  People thought they were cute so asked if I could make them without the tag part as well.


Here are some more feathery friends with colour options available!  I love making them!  Although I make each one in the same way, they all have their own different character when put together! 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.  Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to.  Thank you again to everyone who leaves lovely comments and reads my ramblings!  It really does touch me!


5 comments:

  1. Those butterfly kits are amazing. I've done them with nursery a few times and I'm always speechless at the transformation! Loving your little birdies too!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for the boys to get to see the butterfly life cycle!

    Those little birds are too cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The butterflies are gorgeous - my little boy got to see this at playschool - he just loved it - a butterfly landed on his t-shirt and he was beyond excited. It's a lovely experience for little ones and big ones too :-). Love your little birds, Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rachel...How lovely for your boys to see the life cycle of the butterflies!....So much more fun than a Science lesson and something that they won't ever forget....They are so pretty, aren't they? I love your pics...
    Your little makes are so cute...they do all have their own personalities. It's the thing I love most about making characters...each one is always unique...
    Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - the butterfly kits sound amazing!

    Lovely pictures! I bet you gave them names aswell!

    kate xxx

    ReplyDelete